Thursday 31 March 2011

Haircuts and a heavy south westerly



I got my hair cut today, I know really exciting! While I was in St. Andrews today i took a picture of west sands since I was there to check how good the waves were. The conclusion I have reached is Not Very. See for yourself below. These waves are less than a foot tall and it looks as if they are being forced by the wind back out to sea. It turns out that in some places there are 70mph gales coming from the SW.
                St. Andrews is basically our town even though we live 10 miles away we go there for everything like food and I used to go to school there. I was standing right under where point B is on the map when I took these photos of west sands (I was looking North). I live somewhere around point A and my bedroom window looks South and I can see Shell Bay. I had never thought of this before but actually the best place to surf would be there. For some reason St. Andrews is just the place to go surfing. You can see that the SW wind would come across the Firth of Forth dragging up large waves. I looked through the telescope out of the window and although unclear I could see large swells that looked to be about 6 feet tall. I tried to take a picture but its too far away to see anything and when I press the lense of my camera (Olympus compact) everything blurs and the camera sounds like its trying to commit suicide. I might try surfing there tomorrow ill tell you if I do.
View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment